Saturday, March 24, 2007

Online Tiputini tree identification key using Google Earth


I received an email last month from Carlos Gonzalez of King's College London who is working on an online key for tree identification from high resolution aerial photography. From his email:

We have prepared an initial database for distributing the data that we have collected at TBS over the years to others working there who might want to use it. That database which is integrated with Google Earth has been incorporated into an online key for tree identification from high resolution aerial photography. The tree allows users to make identifications of 10 trees in the TBS imagery using series of questions. I would be very grateful if you would take a short time to identify 10 trees for me. This exercise contributes to my PhD projects which aims to develop better keys for tree identification from the air.
You can find instructions and access to the key and imagery at http://www.ambiotek.com/carlos/Templates/2.html

Your computer needs to have a copy of Google Earth version 4, which is available at http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

I cannot identify which users have given particular answers but will be able to provide some general feedback to the group of users as a whole. PLEASE ALSO FORWARD TO OTHERS WHO MIGHT CONTRIBUTE.
So here I am forwarding. No ants, but I am a supporter of the creation of new keys and new key technologies, and always a supporter of Tiputini, where all my lovely ants are from, so if anyone else would like to help (or just check out the cool key), please go to the webpage and do so. Thanks.


Photo: View of a bunch of trees I can't identify from the canopy tower at TBS

No comments:

Post a Comment